"The optimist invents the airplane, and the pessimist invents the parachute." – G.B. Stern

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Redesign Project 3 - Business Card


Here's a reminder of the old card

My redesign done as the project

My ex-stepdad’s business card looked very unprofessional, so I decided that it would be a good idea to help him out by designing a new one for him. The first thing I noticed about the original design of the business card is that the image in the background has no correlation with the subject matter. My ex-stepdad has an eBay business that he runs out of his house. (And when I say he has a business, I mean he goes to garage sales on the weekends and buys cheap things cheaply and then tries to resell those items on eBay for an inflated price. He collects disability checks because he can’t work, and he considers this pastime to be his job/career.)
Anyway, as I began the assignment to redesign this business card, I began looking at VistaPrint.com. As I looked at all the potential business card styles, I noticed that my ex-stepdad had actually used VistaPrint to design his original card. I think when he was designing his business card he just picked the first card style that was listed, and gave no real thought to design elements or the images and icons used. For one thing, the background image on his original card looks like the African Savannah, which has nothing to do with his business or the items he sells on eBay. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, the African Savannah background image would be appropriate if my ex-stepdad was a travel agent, but in his case, the image is in conflict with the context and the message he is trying to send ‘potential customers.’
I chose the card design with an image of an old lamp, picture, and chair because those are all items that could easily be picked up at a garage sale and sold on eBay. The image of antique items is much more appropriate for the kinds of things that my ex-stepdad actually sells than a green landscape. I removed the slogan of the original card, which was ‘Have a great day,’ because it seemed an inappropriate and unnecessary item to include on any business card. I added the slogan, ‘The best little place to find garage sale treasures,’ because it tells the customer what type of merchandise they will find when they visit his eBay store, as well as what kind of place they are buying from.
I centered the name of his eBay store and the slogan because I feel that is the most important information the potential customer needs to decide whether or not they are interested in buying from the cardholder. I bolded the cardholder’s name (Todd Bridwell), because the name of his eBay business is bolded, and it shows correlation between the name of the business and the business owner. I also bolded ‘owner’ because the cardholder is also the owner of the business.  I put a slightly greater space between the physical address and the phone numbers because they are completely different methods of contacting the cardholder. I blocked the phone numbers together and put a slightly greater space between them and the email address, again, because they are completely different methods of contacting him and the space makes the information easier to differentiate.  

1 comment:

  1. Ashlee--Strong design and analysis. Good work using vistaprint. A few notes:

    - the image and the information on the right are too far apart, creating an awkward white space in the middle

    - unclear if centering is the way to go on the name, Todd's Shack

    - Title of company should be larger

    - might put (rear) in parenthesis

    - don't need dash after (806)

    - might put owner on same line as name

    ReplyDelete