"The optimist invents the airplane, and the pessimist invents the parachute." – G.B. Stern

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Design Principles: Report Cover Redesign

For my first project, I will complete the report cover redesign. I might ought to wait to do this project until later in the semester but I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot! I worked on the proposal with peers in ENGL 2311, and I don't feel that the cover is of the same quality as the proposal itself. In other words, the cover is no good. For the redesign I will be using Microsoft Word, but I will steer clear of using a generic word report cover template like me and my group did when we first created the proposal.

I think the image used does not look professional enough, even though it is the official logo of Meals on Wheels, which is the business at which the proposal was directed. I think that one or two images of someone delivering food to the elderly would be much more effective and would add a more professional quality to the document.



Design Principles as They Pertain to the Redesign

Contrast - The first thing I plan to change is the color scheme. For one thing, there are three colors which I now think is too many for a professional document. I don't know yet which colors I will use, but I know I will pick colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel to create contrast. I hate the orange color and the green color, and the orange and green together.

Repetition - This design principle is the least important for this particular assignment, because there is not much that needs to repeated on the cover alone.

Alignment - There are alignment problems all over the place! For one thing, the font should not be centered. The current alignment looks unprofessional, and there is no rhyme or reason for it. Another thing I plan to change is the huge '2010' placed in the top right corner. Currently, the year looks like the most  important piece of information, like it's an important yearly report which it isn't. Also, I am going to change the placement of the title of the report and the Meals on Wheels logo because they are not aligned.

Proximity - I plan to change the placement of the Meals on Wheels logo and the name of the report. It looks unprofessional to place them so close together and in the middle of the page. I will also change the proximity of the text of the members of the team and the course name and number because I now think it looks tacky to have the text double-spaced.

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis on the changes that need to be made, looking forward to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete