"The optimist invents the airplane, and the pessimist invents the parachute." – G.B. Stern

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Redesign Project 1 - Report Cover

Redesign Project 1 - Final Product

Here is the first project I completed for class. I don’t know yet how to save a word document as an image (so if anyone knows how to do that I would appreciate some help). Because I don’t know how to save a word document as an image for uploading to the blog, I printed out the finished product and then scanned it into the computer and saved it as a jpeg file. In other words, it appears slightly tilted and the colors are not as rich as they appear on the computer screen, but that is only because of the way I had to upload the image to the computer and the blog.
Contrast
I chose to use navy blue for the text and lines at the top and bottom of the page because the color closely resembles the color of the actual Meals on Wheels logo. The navy color I used is more professional looking though. I chose to use beige as the other color, because it is across from blue on the color wheel and the colors make a good contrast. I also used hints of white to mix it up a bit.  
Alignment
I aligned the title of the proposal along with an image of the meal delivery service in action and the names of the people involved in creating the proposal. I did so to draw the audience’s (Meals on Wheels) attention to the fact that the proposal is aimed at Meals on Wheels, and the members of the team who created the proposal are responsible for asking Meals on Wheels to consider the security system. (That makes sense in my head but my wording might be confusing. Luckily I’m not going into a career where I have to explain things…ha, ha.)
I placed a Meals on Wheels logo in the top left-hand corner to place emphasis on the professional side of the organization, and to appeal to the organization (Meals on Wheels). I changed the color of the logo to a more neutral and professional black and white so that the colors would go with the color scheme of the report of blue and beige.
I placed the name of the course, the professor, and date of the proposal at the bottom left-hand corner of the page because I feel that is the least important information and that way the information is aligned with the Meals on Wheels Logo at the top of the page.
Repetition
I only repeated the lines at the top and bottom of the page because I think it gives the page and all its elements a sense of unity. I also think it’s a bit unorthodox to use centered lines along with columns.
Proximity
I placed the image of the meal delivery service in approximately the middle of the page because it offers the most visual and emotional stimulation. Both images used are the same distance from each side of the page.
I still plan to make a lot of revisions to the cover later in the semester after we have gone over all the principles of design in more detail, but I think that overall this cover is much more professional and respectable looking than the one I started with.

5 comments:

  1. I like your redesign because it’s not a business card and because you chose to do something a little more complex for your first project.

    Rhetorically, this redesigned report cover literally says what it is—a proposal. The picture also represents well what the program does, but does it tie in with what your proposal is about? As an outsider, I don’t know what a 1st Alarm Security System is, so the title and the picture might contradict themselves. They just make me wonder what the real connection is, so I guess I might be suggesting a cognitive disconnect for the viewer.

    I have to admit that the blue monotone makes me feel washed out and a little uninterested. Therefore, if the proposal was written for my expressed review, I might not be in a hurry to take a look because it’s just so blah. I read, though, that you used beige also, but I can’t see that in the image uploaded. I’m sure the printed version is a little better.

    I think the logo might have worked better if the top of it had lined up with the top of the word “Proposal.” Your vertical alignment down the page is good and provides a strong guiding line for the viewer’s eyes. I also just like that you chose a simple text.

    Overall, the design is clean, and it does present itself as professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This redesign is great, the change allows it to do a better job in the rhetorical and cognitive areas, but i do have to agree that the affective area could use more work. The colors you've chose are light and calm, but they don't really convey the warm feeling you are aiming for with the picture you are using. Other than that, it's a fantastic improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, as well, enjoy the redesign. Rhetorically, the message is captured explicitly in the title, which is very helpful for a subject of a semi-serious matter.

    I, personally, don't have a problem with the colors because they match well and are suitable colors to background a black and white photo. Also, considering this is a proposal, which indicates lots of literature past the cover, I don't believe eye-catching colors are truly necessary and that the blues are a fine choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the layout of your report cover, you are gifted in design; it is a gift more people need. The proximity, contrast, and repetition in the document are used with the skills of a third generation craftsman. The page is effective in its task.

    Then, it happens... the dark beast rears it's ugly head to protect the golden fleece(a perfected document) from being acquired. I am of course describing the rhetorical non-sequitur of palettal nightmare in the report cover. After searching every inch of my creativity, I cannot fathom any professional document that would look better if it were baby blue.

    I do not intend to imply any notion that I am a flawless mused designer with no planks in my own eye, I like the report cover. Despite the quality of that document and its; efficient layout; clear message being communicated; and an extremely worth cause, much of the rhetorical, cognitive, and affective impact of the paper will fade away like salt in the sea, because of a poorly chosen paper color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for commenting on my design. Joshua, I have to be honest and say that I don't know what you're trying to tell me. I think you don't like the colors?

    Felipe, I never thought of the colors that way, thanks for pointing that out. I think I went with blue just because it's one of my favorite colors. (Probably not then best way to chose the colors for a technical document, ha ha.)

    Tasha, now I can see that maybe it is a bit confusing about just what the proposal is for. I will be sure to correct that problem in the revision process!

    ReplyDelete