"The optimist invents the airplane, and the pessimist invents the parachute." – G.B. Stern

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Overview of 5 Semester Design Projects

Business Card Redesign (Todd’s Shack)
I chose to redesign a business card because I think it will be an important skill for any career, especially one in technical communication. The card I have chosen to redesign was done by my ex-step dad, and it looks extremely unprofessional. The two biggest changes I plan to make to the card are to spread the information out and to make the more important text stand out in some way. The way the information is presently laid out, it looks sloppy and cramped. The information is not easy to see either. Also, the background image has no correlation to the information being provided. The image would be okay if the owner of the business card was a travel agent specializing in African safaris, but he is not. He is attempting to promote his own eBay business which he runs out of his home.

 


Book Cover Redesign (I Can’t Tell You)
I have chosen to redesign a book cover, because I plan to write a novel of some sort later in my life, and it would be great if I was able to design my own book cover. I have chosen to redesign the cover of my favorite book I Can’t Tell You by Hillary Frank. It is my favorite book, and in my opinion the cover is too plain and does not do the novel justice. The green color seems awkward, and the abstract image of the man on the cover seems impersonal. I plan to find an image more suitable to Hillary Frank’s writing style, and to change the background color of the cover.


 
Redesign of Resume (My Own)
I have chosen to redesign my own resume because it is in desperate need of an update. Also, being able to design effective resumes will help me considerably in my career in technical communication.


Report Cover Redesign (From Previous Tech Comm Class)
I completed a proposal in Intro to Tech Comm with a group of peers, and the one thing I would change about the proposal is the cover. I plan to first change the colors because I do not think they look good together. I also plan to change the images used and the placement of the text to make it look more professional.

Brochure Creation (Heritage Oaks Nursing & Rehabilitation Center)
This will be my most significant project. When my grandmother had to stay in a nursing home for a short time, my mom gathered quite an assortment of brochures and information from different facilities. The way the information was provided by the Heritage Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation Center really bothered me, because the handouts seem somewhat unprofessional. The information is just scattered around and is not written well. The information is not presented well either. The font should not be centered, there should be better headings, and there should be a reason for certain information to be emphasized. I plan to coordinate these two one-sheet handouts into a well-written, professional brochure with images.



3 comments:

  1. These look to be good projects. The car and brochure looks like they will need the most work. I'm interested to see the book re-design. Seems like the project that will require the most creativity.

    I looked up the book and it sounds like an interesting read, will definitely be on my next round of amazon orders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlee--Good range of artifacts here. I think your brochure will be challenging, but you have already provided a fair amount of thinking on the subject. I like the idea, too, on building on a previous course. Perhaps some of the thinking you did there will be appropriate to build upon in 3369. I think making book covers is a lot of fun. Think about the audience--what age group tends to purchase the book? Which age tends to read the book? Are those two different audiences? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the projects you have chosen. I am also designing a book cover, but it will be a non-fiction book. I think doing the book you have chosen would be fun and interesting. I think you could make that business card look really excellent. Also, the brochure for the nursing home is a really great idea and would help a lot of people. I agree that it has a terrible design, and that people who are picking up that kind of information need clarity. They are a business after all, and if I picked up that brochure, I would think they didn't put much time in it. That in itself could turn some people away on a first impression alone.

    ReplyDelete